Mushrooms have always been an all time favourite cooking ingredient of mine from all times. I love the texture that it lends to a dish as the main ingredient. I remember my all time favourite mushroom dish was the Mushroom Butter Masala at TongueTinglers, a small time restaurant near my workplace in T.Nagar. Some afternoons of long drawn meetings would almost always end in a tongue tingling lunch ordered from this amazing restaurant. Combined with their Ginger Capsicum Fried Rice, it was definitely a slice of heaven. I recently found in my last trip to India, that they had closed. I never knew why, but I always miss their amazing food. This recipe is a rehashed version of one that I read from an Indian magazine. Try it and I am sure you will love it`s richness in taste and texture.
1 pound button mushrooms washed and diced.
1/2 Red Onion diced.
3 Roma Tomatoes diced.
1 Tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste.
1 Tbsp Butter.
Handful of Cashews soaked in milk.
Pinch of saffron soaked in warm milk.
Pinch of Sugar
Salt to taste.
1 Inch Cinnamon.
1 Tsp Ground Elaichi Powder.
1/2 cup Water/ Whey.
Pinch of Turmeric Powder.
1 Tbsp Red Chilli Powder.
1 Tbsp Dried Kasuri Methi.
- In the mixer grind the cashews, saffron and warm milk to a smooth paste. Add a pinch of sugar and set aside.
- In a kadai add a spoon of ghee and when hot add whole masalas – Cinnamon, Cloves and Elaichi Powder.
- Next toss in the diced onions. Saute till pink.
- When done, add ginger garlic paste and tomatoes and give it a quick stir.
- Now add turmeric, red chilli powder and the aromatic kasuri methi. In my opinion, the kasuri methi acts as a catalyst and add a lot of body and character to the dish.
- Allow the tomatoes to cook till they are mushy , stay on a medium flame and the ingredients come together. Keep aside to cool and puree to a smooth paste.
- In the same kadai, add 1 spoon of oil/ ghee and toss in the diced mushrooms. Give it a quick stir.
- Pour the ground paste and add salt and a blob of butter.
- Cover and cook on medium low flame for 7-8 minutes.
- Also add in the rich cashew paste and continue to cook on a medium low flame for another 5-6 minutes.
- When you see that the gravy just starts to come together remove from heat.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve Hot with Tiranga Pulav.