Plum Cake – It always brought back memories of Christmas holidays, time off from school, colorful stars outside homes, carols at school, and of course Plum Cake from the local bakery. It was truly a master piece and every bite would burst with sweet, tang from the raisins, the caramel sauce and the whole gamut of flavors that are so complex tapping in your taste buds in a way that you have never known before…I love this cake so much that I had decided I was going to make the egg less version of the Fruit Cake at home as often as I can. This is a more to go version and I love the compelling tastes in both of them a lot! It might seem like a lot of ingredients but once you actually bite in to this cake, you will agree that its completely worth it.
1 1/5 Cups All Purpose Flour.
1 Tsp Baking Soda.
A pinch of salt.
1 Cup Dark Raisins soaked in water for 30 minutes.
1 Cup Golden Raisins soaked in water for 30 minutes.
Handful of dates chopped.
1/4 Cup Butter.
1 Cup Brown Sugar.
1/2 Tsp Cinnamon Powder.
1/2 Ginger Powder.
1/4 Tsp Candied Ginger.
1/4 Tsp All Spice Powder (Garam Masala )
1/4 Tsp Orange Zest.
1/2 Cup Orange Juice.
1/2 Cup Tuitti Fruiti.
1/2 Cup Water.
2 Eggs at room temperature.
1 Tbsp Date Syrup/ Golden Syrup/ Caramel Syrup.
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract.
- Soak the tuitti fruit in the orange juice for at least 1 hour and set aside.
- Remove the water from the golden raisins and black raisins and discard the soaked water.
- Take a pan and add the black raisins, golden raisins, butter, brown sugar, cinnamon powder, all spice powder, ginger powder, and salt.
- Add the 1/2 cup of water and allow to boil the mixture for about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from the flame and allow to cool.
- Drain the tuitti fruity , save the orange juice and add the tuitti fruity to the mixture.
- Beat two eggs with a whisk and add it to the mix after it has cooled down COMPLETELY.
- Add vanilla essence, chopped dates, orange zest, date syrup and orange juice.
- Mix completely and slowly add in the dry ingredients – all purpose flour, baking soda and salt.
- Preheat the oven to 350F and bake the cake for about 45-60 minutes or until a toothpick that’s inserted in to a cake comes out clean.
- Cool it on a wire rack and when completely cool, cut in to slices and serve.