When I saw Jayasree`s posting announcing the Microwave Easy Cooking Event – Puddings, I really got thinking as to the kind of recipe I had to submit for the same. Instantly, my eyes fell on the ripe apples that I had bought at a farmer`s market this weekend…Incidentally, I also had apple butter, that I had purchased from “My Grandpa`s Farm” at Katy Trail, Augusta, MO. So I decided on quick fix microwaved version of my Apple Payasam. An apple a day keeps the doctor away is an old adage…but many times when I think back, I appreciate the truth behind such a saying and find that there are scientific evidences for this claim. Apples promotes digestion, cleans and strengthens gums, reduces the risk of certain types of cancer, lowers cholestrol and detoxifies the body. With all these inputs, lets proceed to Apple Kingdom!!!
1 ripe apple chopped in to pieces.
2 spoons Apple Butter/Apple Sauce.
3/4 cup 2% Reduced Fat Milk.
1/4 cup Condensed Milk.
1/2 cup Brown Sugar.
2 spoons Coconut Milk or Heavy Cream.
Saffron Strands dissolved in milk.
A pinch of Cardamom
- Pop the chopped apples in the microwave on HIGH for 3 mins and allow to cool.
- Grind the apples with 2 spoons of coconut milk or heavy cream.
- Add this ground apple puree to a large microwave safe mixing bowl.
- From the 3/4 cup of milk, draw out a little to soak the saffron strands.
- Add apple butter, milk, condensed milk,saffron milk and sugar to the pureed apples in the bowl and mix well.
- Microwave on HIGH for ten minutes. After 7 mins, remove from microwave and add powdered cardamom.
- Replace the bowl back in to the microwave and complete the remaining 3 minutes.
- The milk should have slightly thickened to a “kheer” consistency. Depending on the make of the microwave, the capacity, power supply and the size of the container, this time could vary by about 2 mins ahead or after.
- On personal preference, I like my kheer a little thick, so If you still want a little more thickness, pop it in the microwave for a couple mins more.
- In a little glass dish, add 2 spoons of ghee and cashews and microwave it on HIGH for 1 minute. When its roasted well emitting fragrant aroma, add this to the kheer.
- Sprinkle more saffron strands for a pretty garnish.
- Serve HOT or CHILLED!!!
and Srivalli of Cooking4allseasons.