One of the things I really run out of ideas are one pot meals. I love to spend weekends with my family rather than to put together an elaborate meal. One pot meals are the best as they bring together vegetables and rice in one go. I also like to have a completely different tasting pilaf to take out the monotony of smelling ther self same garam masala. This is one dish that has no garam masala added to it…Try it and I am sure you would love its taste and texture.
1 Medium Onion.
2 Ripe Tomatoes.
3 Tbsp Fresh Grated Coconut.
2 Tsp Poppy Seeds/ Khus Khus.
2 Roma Tomatoes.
1 Tsp Salt.
1 Tsp Kitchen King Masala.
1 Inch Cinnamon.
1 Onion finely diced.
1/2 cup Beans.
1/2 cup Diced Mushrooms.
1/2 cup Fresh Peas.
Ghee, Cinnamon, Jeera, Star Anise for tempering.
Red Chilli Powder.
- Wash 2 cups of Basmati Rice and keep ready in an electric rice cooker vessel.
- In a mixer add grated coconut, poppy seeds, cloves, tomatoes, salt, kitchen king masala, small piece of cinnamon and puree with a little water to a fine paste.
- Add this paste to the basmati rice. This should be part of the 3 1/2 cups of water that is added. So pour out the contents of the mixer in to a cup. If it is little less than a cup, add water and make it one cup.
- Add the remaining 2 1/2 cups of water, and a dollop of butter to the rice. Allow to cook.
- When done, open and puff up the rice with a fork and allow to cool.
- In a kadai add 2 spoons of ghee and all the tempering ingredients.
- Now add onions and allow to saute well. When done pop in the beans, peas and the mushrooms.
- Add salt just for the veggies as the rice already has salt added to it.
- Keep stirring and add turmeric, red chilli powder and a pinch of kitchen king masala to the veggies.
- When the vegetables are well cooked, add the rice already cooked in spicy tomato paste.
- Mix well and garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Serve HOT with chilled Cucumber Raita.
This particular rice dish tastes better with time. So make sure that you make it at least an hour ahead of serving. All you would need to do is to pop it in to the microwave or in to the oven.