Oranges are one of my favourite fruits and I invent ways and means to add them to anything and everything. …Cakes, Muffins. Kheer, Salads, the list is almost endless. They infuse the dish with such and aroma and richness that it adds such a zing to it. Oranges are also a rich source of Vitamin C and have many other benefits. This is one of my favourite concoction out of oranges and is an all time addition to any party or potlucks.
3 small oranges.
1 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour.
1 Tsp Baking Powder.
1/2 Baking Soda.
1/2 Cup Melted Butter.(Substitute with Melted Margarine).
3/4 Cup Brown Sugar/ White Sugar.
1/4 Cup sour Cream.( Can be replaced with thick curds/ yoghurt)
2 Tbsp Orange Zest.
3/4 Cup Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice.
5 orange and brown vanilla wafers crumbled.
- Firstly zest all the three oranges but make sure you don`t go all the way to the white portion covering the oranges, to avoid bitterness. Once the oranges are zested, its easy to squeeze out the juice. Set aside.
- We always start the process of baking with wet ingredients. Having that in mind, take a large mixing bowl and add melted butter. Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Next add orange juice, orange zest, sour cream and sugar and mix it briskly to allow the sugar to dissolve in the juices.
- Measure out the all purpose flour in to another bowl.
- Add baking soda, baking powder and give it a mix. Set aside.
- Ladle out portions of the flour (flour+ baking soda+ baking powder) little by little in to the bowl having the wet ingredients.
- Do not overmix as this might rob the mix of all the air which helps in making spongy muffins.
- When all the flour has been added, set aside for 5-10 minutes to allow it to slightly work on the batter and get a little airy.
- Meanwhile, butter the muffin pans and take the wafer crumbles and fill n the base of the muffin moulds with it. We do this to allow a firm base for the muffins. This step is completely optional or can be replaced with Orange Marie Biscuits or any other biscuit.
- Now with a measuring scoop, fill in the muffin moulds with at least 3/4`th of the batter.
- When all the batter has been added to the pans, slightly top it with a sprinkle of orange zest.
- Pop the muffins in to the oven and bake for around 12-15 minutes.
- When you find the top browning a little and you are embraced with a sweet perfume of oranges, then is the time to remove it from the oven and allow it to cool.
- Enjoy fragrant orange muffins and allow its aroma and freshness to engulf you completely when you bite in to it!!!
- This measurement makes 12 big muffins / 24 mini muffins.