Oh yes, you got it right….Broad beans and green beans together in this pulav make it bursting with nutrition and taste. Broad beans are good sources of protein, fibre, vitamins A and C, potassium and iron. They also contain levodopa (L-dopa), a chemical the body uses to produce dopamine (the neurotransmitter associated with the brain’s reward and motivation system).They are highly nutritious and prove to be a powerful storehouse of many essential nutrients required by the body, especially phosphorus, potassium, vitamin K, vitamin A and iron. In addition, the beans also find a respectable place in the legendary tales of different countries.
Broad Bean and Green Beans Pulav combines the best of the vegetables and rice to bring you a one pot meal filled with all goodness of fibre, nutrition, iron and carbohydrates.
2 Cups Basmati Rice.
2 Cups Water.
A small blob of butter.
1/2 Cup of Broad Beans.
1/2 Cup French Cut Beans.
Salt to taste.
To Roast & Grind to a Powder:
4 Tsp Dhania.
2 Tsp Jeera.
2 Tsp White Sesame Seeds.
2 Red Chillies.
Small Stick of Cinnamon.
1 Tsp Somph / Shahjeera.
4 Green Chillies Slit vertically.
- Wash the basmati rice and set it aside to soak for 10 – 20 minutes.
- In a dry kadai, dry roast the ingredients specified. Allow to cool for a few minutes and powder to a medium coarse consistency.
- Take a medium sized wok/kadai and add 2 spoons of ghee. When hot, add mustard, somph, green chillies, curry leaves, asfoetida and fry for a few seconds.
- Add the broad beans and the french cut beans and stir for a few minutes. Now add the ground powder masala to the veggies on the stove.
- Since they have already been dry roasted, we would only need a few minutes for the powder to cook and coat the veggies.
- Now add the washed rice to the kadai. Stir well until the rice grains are all coated with the powder masala.
- Add a few spoons of chopped cilantro leaves.
- Now add the 2 cups of water and mix well.
- Transfer the entire contents to a electric rice cooker.
- Add a blob of butter / a spoon of ghee to the cooker vessel. Stir and allow to cook.
- When done, garnish with a few more spoons of chopped corriander and serve HO T with Cucumber Raitha.