This weekend, I was intent on cleaning out the refrigerator. Period! Every time I ask my significant other for a particular ingredient, he meaningfully looks at me as if to say “Well, the pantry is bursting on its seams…And you want more spaghetti?”
“Well”, I answer, “what I have is Penne, but what I need for that delicious Mushroom Lasagna is definitely Lasagna Sheets….!!”
But no, this time I was intent on my single minded goal, to clean out the refrigerator,,,,that pepper left over from my simple Capsicum Subzi, the mushrooms from the Mushroom Butter Masala, that I made on friday night along with parathas…and the Speckled Butter Beans in the freezer, which I love, to add to my protien zing! I also remembered Nupur`s event on Using Up all the ingredients lurking in the kitchen pantries. Although she wanted the recipe from a fellow blogger`s site, I liked the intention of cleaning up the pantry/fridge. The simple aim is to Use it or Lose it.
Here goes my simple summer salad with roasted veggies…Tons of flavour and loads of vitamins and protein packed goodness..all in one!!
1 Bunch Romanie Lettuce.
3 Carrots sliced long.
1 Green Bell Pepper sliced long.
Handful of Black Olives.
Red Onions sliced long.
3 zucchini sliced in to thin pieces.
1/3 Cup Mushrooms.
1 Cup Speckled Butter Beans.
Parmesan Cheese to Garnish.
4 Tbsp Dijon Mustard.
4 Tbsp buttermilk.
1 Tbsp Honey.
- Wash all the vegetables well to remove grit, dirt and any traces of wax or pesticides.
- Cook the butter beans in the pressure cooker for 2 whistles. Pour just enough water to cover the butter beans inside the cooking vessel. Set aside to cool.
- Chop the carrots, zucchini , Bell Peppers, Yellow Squash and Onions in to long pieces.
- The zucchini, peppers and squash are all vegetables are can be easily roasted. The carrots on the other hand would take a little more time, so it makes sense to chop the carrots slightly more thinner than the other veggies.
- Place on a cookie sheet tray. Season with salt, black pepper, basil and drizzle Olive Oil and give it a quick mix with your fingers.
- Roast in the oven at 375F for about 10 minutes or until the aroma of the roasted veggies wafts in the air.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Take the salad bowl and first add chopped Romanie lettuce.
- Next add the roasted and cooled veggies ,add chopped olives, and mushrooms.
- Season with a little more salt and pepper and give a quick whisk.
- Combine Buttermilk Ranch, Dijon Mustard and honey( which is at room temperature) . Incorporate all the ingredients with a whisk or spoon and pour over the salad.
- Serve with grated parmesan cheese.