My family at home, and my uncles, aunts, mom, cousins, and everyone I know have an eternal love affair with this delectable ingredient – “Coffee”. We love our morning cuppa and enjoy the freshness and zing that it adds in to our mornings! I am also eternally trying to add coffee in to our everyday snacks….Coffee Cookies and Cold Coffee with Ice Cream were born out of efforts in that arena! I had my Kitchen Aid stand mixer and I wanted to try a real cake with eggs and my first cake had to be a Coffee Cake. I had earlier chanced on this recipe in Divya`s blog and I knew I had to make one of my own….Imagine the aroma of a coffee cake in the entire home!!! I was a goner! and Divya…this recipe is a keeper!!!
1 cup All purpose flour.
3/4 cup sugar.
3/4 cup butter softened at room temperature.
1 tsp baking powder.
1 Tbsp Boiling Water.
2 Tbsp Instant Coffee Powder.( I used Folgers Instant)
2 Eggs at room temperature.
1Tsp Vannila Essence.
1/4 Cup Milk at room temperature.
INGREDIENTS FOR COFFEE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
1/3 Cup Butter softened at room temperature.
1 Cup levelled Icing Sugar .
Dash of vanilla essence.
1 Tbsp Boiling Water with a dash of coffee powder dissolved in it.
1 Tbsp Heavy Whipping Cream.
2 Mini Toblerone Chocolate Mounds.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease a round 9 inch cake pan.
- Measure out one cup of all purpose flour and mix in the 1 tsp of baking powder. Set aside.
- Dissolve the instant coffee powder with boiling water. I used Folger`s Instant Coffee Powder that is 100% coffee. The Indian brands of instant powders have at least 40-48% chicory so please keep that in mind, as you might have to slightly increase the measure to 3 Tbsps.
- In a bowl, cream the sugar and butter under slow speed until they are fluffy.
- Slowly add the eggs one by one with the mixer on and incorporate the eggs in. Do not overmix as this might rob the mixture of the air, which is an essential ingredient for the sponginess of the cake.
- Now add the vanilla essence, and the coffee dissolved in water. Beat well.
- Next start adding the flour and the milk alternatively, starting with the flour, then milk, then flour and continue and finish with the flour.
- Slowly pour on to the greased cake pan and bake for 30-35 minutes approximatelty, or until a toothpick thats inserted, comes out clean. Please keep a watch on the oven after 28 minutes or so, to make sure that the cake does not get burnt, over baked!
- Allow to cool well before frosting the cake.
PROCEDURE FOR PREPARATION OF COFFEE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
- In the mixer, add the whisk attachment and keep all ingredients at room temperature.
- Add icing sugar, butter first and combine on low speed until well mixed. Increase the speed to medium and whisk for another 3 minutes.
- Add the vanilla essence, coffee powder dissolved in water anf heavy whipping cream in the proportions mentioned above.
- Keep whisking the mixture well for another 2-3 minutes until it reaches a spreading consistency.
- Spread the coffee buttercream frosting on the cooled cake with a butter knife to make a smooth layer. Cream the sides of the cake if needed.
- Grate dark chocolate toblerone over the cake. You can combine chocolate with the buttercream and pipe out designs on the cake if needed.
- Chill for an hour for the frosting to set.
- Delicious Coffee Cake with Coffee Buttercream frosting is ready.