One of the most easiest snacks to make, yet requires sleight of hand and knowledge of a few tips as its tricky. The only tricky part being the consistency of the batter. Runny batter results in “boondhis” with little tails. A batter which is too thick would not even fall through the holes and not cook enough. Kara Boondhi makes an excellent snack by itslef, but I prefer making delicious Mixture for Deepavali.
2 1/2 Cups Besan.
1 Cup Rice Flour.
1 Tsp Salt.
1 Tsp Red Chilli Powder.
Pinch of Baking Soda.
Pinch of Hing.
1 Tsp Butter.
Pinch of Baking Soda.
1 – 1 1/2 Cups of Water. (Totally depending on the kind of Besan.)
- Set a kadai with oil to medium heat on the stove. Meanwhile mix the batter for the Kara Boondhi.
- In a bowl add the butter and all the dry ingredients – salt, hing, red chilli powder and baking soda.
- Sieve the required quantity of besan as many times the store bought besan has clots which may not yield results needed.
- Add the rice flour and the besan.
- Use a whisk to mix as this really helps in binding all the ingredients well.
- Pour 1 cup of water and whisk to see the consistency. If needed add more water little by little.
- The consistency should be slightly runny but not too much.
- Using the Boondhi Ladle or a simple perforated ladle, take out a ladle of batter and pour over the boondhi ladle and press out the batter through the holes to fall on to the hot oil.
- The boondhis or drops will sizzle and hiss, when cooking in the oil. Use your ladle and mix it in well to allow uniform cooking.
- When starting to turn a light golden colour, remove from flame and on to a collander lined with tissue.
- Allow the oil a couple of seconds to heat up before adding the next batch of boondhis.
- Crisp KaraBoondhis are ready.
- Try out the boondhi ladle with the batter to see how the batter falls. You can keep the boondhi ladle on the mixed besan batter itself to see results. Then adjust the consistency of the batter by either adding more water or more besan.
- Use KaraBoondhis to make raitas or simply spic it up adding a little red chilli powder and hing for any anytime snack.
- Use with other fried snacks to make Mixture.