Punjabi Kala Channa Curry was something that I had tasted at a friend` s home at dinner and I flipped at the simplicity and taste of this particular dish. The Kala Channa like any other edible legume are extremely high in protien. It is also believed to be one of the earliest cultivable legume!!! The black chana have a markedly higher fiber content than Kabuli Channa also called the Garbanzo, and hence a very low glycemic index which may make them suitable for people with blood sugar problems.
1 Tsp Jeera.
1 Tsp Ginger Garlic Paste.
Paste from 1 Medium Red Onion.
1 Can of Hunt`s Tomato Puree.
1 Tomato Finely Chopped.
2 Green Chillies.
1/2 Tsp Red Chilli Powder.
1/4 Tsp Garam Masala Powder.
1 Tsp Dhania Powder.
1 Tsp Kasui Methi
Cilantro to garnish.
- Soak the kala channa for 5-6 hours and cook in the pressure cooker for 3 whistles. Drain cooked and cooled kala channa and save the water.
- In a kadai add 1 spoon of ghee and when its hot, the jeera and the ginger garlic paste. Allow it to cook well in the oil. The ginger garlic has to become almost brown.
- Next add the smooth paste of 1 Onion. Fry this paste to a golden brown colour on a medium flame. This is the essence of any punjabi masala – to cook out the onion paste on a medium flame and keep sauteing it until it turns golden brown and all the water is gone completely.
- Add the sliced green chillies and then the can of tomato puree. This add valuable colour and tang to the dish, which is very important to the final flavour.
- Now add all the dry masalas – Red Chilli Powder, Garam Masala, Dhania Powder, kasuri methi and some more chopped tomatoes and fry well for about fifteen minutes until its cooked well and the curry comes together.
- Now add the boiled channa and the water in which it was boiled. Add enough water as you want the final consistency to be.
- After boiling for a few minutes, switch off the flame and serve garnishd with chopped cilantro.
- Fry the onion paste well on medium flame to a golden brown colour until there is no trace of water at all and it comes to a chutney like consistency. This should take at least ten minutes or so, so do not lose your patience here.
- The tomato puree adds a lot of tang and colour to the dish. Feel free to use puree made from tomatoes, at home.