Mixed Vegetable Semiya Upma is one of my all time favourite dinner options. Its simple as its the same concept as a simple rice pulav, versatile as I can throw in whatever veggies that I have left in the pantry and vermicelli hardly takes any time to cook. In all, its a simple substitute for rice for making Lemon Semiya Upma, Tomato Semiya Upma etc. This was a mish mash of veggies in the pantry, made steaming hot on a cold weeknight enjoyed with chutney, and chips!!!
2 Green Chillies Chopped fine.
1 Tsp Chopped Ginger.
1 Tsp Chopped Garlic.
Handful of broken cashews.
1 Medium Onion Chopped fine.
1 Medium Tomato Chopped.
2 Carrots diced fine.
1/2 cup baby corn thawed.
Handful of thawed Sweet Peas.
2 Cups Vermicelli cooked as per instructions and drained on colander.
- Apply a few drops on oil on the cooked vermicelli and keep it aside. This is so that the vermicelli does not stick to each other and become a gooey mass.
- Microwave all the veggies – Carrots, Beans, peas, corn etc for 3-4 minutes so they are almost half cooked.
- In a kadai, a spoon of oil and allow to heat up. Add mustard, curry leaves, ginger, garlic, green chillies and allow to crackle for a few minutes.
- When done, add the chopped onions and saute it well.
- When the onions have turned a dull brown, add the diced tomatoes and allow it to get mushy and cook through until all the water has disappeared.
- Add salt, turmeric, the half cooked veggies and allow a couple of minutes for it to cook through.
- Now add the cooked vermicelli and mix it well.
- Add more salt and bring the veggie semiya upma together.
- Add a drop of ghee, garnish with chopped cilantro and keep it closed until its ready to be served with Cilantro Chutney.