Mangoes are all time love for me and my sisters. Summers are never fun or complete without having juicy ripe mangoes, and a book to read, lazing beneath the trees, on cool breezy summer afternoons. Summers have always brought back memories of mangoes, both ripe and raw – specially for making pickles and storing them in jars, for the entire year`s supply. I love making Mangaa Curry with raw mangoes that we get from the stores. Sometimes a nice snack, for movie time would be Yummy Mango Slices sprinkled with Niceness! When we got a bunch of granny smith apples, my first option was to make a pie. When the going gets tough, then I realise its time to shift gears and change plans so I decided to make a quick pickle with the tart apples. They have little sweetness in them and are very tart, so they make a perfect pickle to enjoy with Gujarathi Khichdi or Yoghurt Rice.
1 Fresh Granny Smith Apple.
1 tsp Salt.
1/8 Tsp of Hing.
1 Tsp Heaped Red Chilli Powder.
1/4 Tsp Turmeric.
Oil, Mustard seeds, curry leaves.
- Remove the core from the apples and cut them in to fine pieces and transfer to a glass container.
- Add salt, turmeric, hing and red chilli powder to the apple slices.
- Heat a spoon of oil in a seasoning kadai.
- Add mustard seeds and when it pops and little hing and curry leaves.
- Drop this seasoning on to the spiced apple slices and mix well.
- Enjoy this delicious pickle with yoghurt rice.