One of my most favourite preparations are either with paneer or with mushrooms. Its always a pleasure to cook with mushrooms as they have their own texture and taste and render a different taste to the dish itself. When I came across Raghavan Iyer`s 660 curries in my local library I was literally overjoyed. I did never find the time to try so many of my favourites in his book, as we were busy with our move . This is one of his dishes that I love and relish. Its a very simple preparation yet, very elegant and a great accompaniment with naan bread or rotis.
1 Pound Brown Cremini Mushrooms or White Button Mushrooms.
1 Tsp Jeera.
1 Tsp ShahiJeera.
1 Tsp Powdered Cardamom.
3 Bay Leaves.
2 Cinnamon Sticks ( Yes it might feel like a bit too much!)
2 Red Chillies.
1 Medium Onion Finely chopped.
1 Tbsp Ginger Paste.
1 Tbsp Garlic Paste.
3 Medium Vine Tomatoes chopped finely.
1 Tsp Red Chilli Powder.
1 tsp Sugar.
1/2 Tsp Punjabi Garam Masala.
Salt to taste.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and when the oil is hot, add the seasonings – Jeera, ShahiJeera, Bay leaves, Cinnamom Sticks, and the ground elaichi. Wait for a couple of minutes until all the spices are well fried and then add the chopped onions.
- Stir fry the onions for a couple of minutes until they are browned a little nad then follow up with the ginger and garlic paste. Let the raw pastes fry in the oil until all the raw smell is gone.
- Keep on stirring to make sure that they do not burn in the oil. Now add the chopped tomatoes aliong with the juices and stir it in. Also add the red chilli powder and salt. Keep stirring the tomatoes for a couple more minutes stirring occasionally until the oil starts to separate. this should approximately take about 6-7 minutes.
- Pour about 1/2 cup of water and deglaze the bottom of the pan and simmer the sauce for about 5 minutes on a medium low flame , uintil the water is absorbed in to the curry and the oil starts seperating again.
- Now add another 1/2 cup of water to the pan and follow with the mushrooms. Add the sugar and mix well and cook covered stirring ocassioanlly until the mushrooms are cooked soft and tender but not rubbery.
- Add a handful of chopped green onions and cilantro and serve hot.