“Food is the most primitive form of comfort”
It`s one of those cold days with the temperatures plunging below zero degrees the wind outside howls, swaying the branches and leaves from side to side. One of those days you want to curl up your feet and watch your favourite show on TV or read your favourite book. One of those days when you want to have piping hot rasam and aloo fry. And fried vadam…I learnt this rasam from a friend`s mom as I loved the aroma and the simple yet delicious taste.. Thanks a ton D!! Nataraja Iyer Rasam is your best best on those days and, no, you will not be disappointed. The kitchen fills with the aroma of this rasam as it bubbles and froths on the stove. Season, garnish serve. Repeat!
I Ripe Tart Tomato.
1 Ball of Tamarind in the size of a small lemon.
Handful Toor Dhal.
3 Cups Water.
5 Red chillies.
2 Green Chilles broken in half.
2 Tsp Cumin Seeds.
1 Tsp Whole Black Pepper.
1/4 Tsp Hing.
1/4 Tsp Turmeric Powder.
1 Tsp Grated Jaggery.
1 Tbsp Ghee.
1/2 Tsp Mustard Seeds.
1/2 Tsp Jeera Seeds.
1/4 Tsp Fenugreek Seeds.
- Wash and clean the toor dhal and pressure cook it in 1 cup of water , adding turmeric powder and a drop of ghee. Mash the cooked toor dhal and and set aside. Add one more cup o f water to dilute.
- Extract the juice from the tamarind (approx 2 cups) . Chop the tomatoes and add to the tamarind water.
- Add turmeric powder, red chillies, hing, green chilles, jaggery and salt to the tamarind water and allow to boil.
- When the tamarind water reduces to almost half, add the 2 cups of cooked and mashed toor dhal thats diluted.
- Add coarsely crushed black pepper and the jeera and cook on medium low heat.
- Switch off when the rasam starts to froth.
- Season with mustard seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, hing and curry leaves in ghee.
- Garnish with a a few sprigs of fresh corriander leaves and cover the rasam with a plate.
- Keep it closed until ready to serve.
- Traditional Brahmin Nataraja Rasam can be served with traditional Vengaya Sambar and Beans Usili or Urulai Varuval.
Try this delicious simple rasam and do leave me your commments/ suggestions.