“Is Peas a fruit? or a vegetable” ? My daughter asked me one day and I really had to look it up to provide her with an answer. Surprise Peas is a fruit! Pea Pods are considered a fruit as they have seeds and they are developed from the ovary of a flower. Well, there`s a new thing that I learnt for today. Peas is a favorite with everyone in our home. We add it to everything….rice, gravies, kootu varieties, and some times alongside vegetables too. When I wanted to make a dish where the star ingredient was Peas naturally everyone welcomed it. I was always on the lookout for easy one pot recipes and when I saw this one on Ramki`s blog, I was awash with excitement. I dressed it up with the ingredients that I wanted with, but the root idea is completely his genius. It takes roughly 15 minutes from start to finish and it had the extra ordinary restaurant taste. There are a few points to be noted:
- This method works ONLY with a pressure cooker with a solid base. I have a Prestige 5 Lt Pressure Cooker with Anti-Burning Base.
- If you are cooking on a coil/ glass top please switch on your burner for about 3-4 minutes BEFORE you place your cooker on it for maximum results and to avoid burning. Once you switch off the cooker, please move it to another burner as on coils, the heat is retained.
- Please follow cooking times exactly.
1 Tsp Butter.
1 Medium Onion sliced thin.
2 Green Chillies grated finely.
1 Tsp Grated Ginger.
2 Tsp Grated Garlic.
1/4 Cup Powdered Cashews.
1 Cup packed chopped methi.
1 Cup green peas.
1/2 Tsp Garam Masala.
1/2 Tsp Dhania Powder ( Corriander Powder)
1/2 Tsp Jeera Powder.
1/2 Tsp Red Chilli Powder.
1 Tsp Milk Powder (Optional).
Salt to taste.
1/2 Cup Beaten Curd/ Hung Curd/ Greek Yoghurt/ Sour Cream beaten.
1 Tbsp Whipped Cream or Heavy Cream.
1/2 Tsp Sugar.
Milk as needed to dilute.
Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker with weight and gasket.
- The whole concept of One Pot One Shot is to be able to throw in all the ingredients and cook them in their own juices using steam without adding any water. This camelises onions, cooks rice, flash cooks vegetables retaining their nutrients and breaks them down rendering them completely cooked and ready to consume.
- In the pressure cooker, directly add the butter, sliced onions, grated chillies, grated ginger, grated garlic, peas, chopped methi leaves, cashew powder, garam masala, dhania powder, cumin powder, milk powder and salt to taste.
- No need to mix.
- Now place it on HIGH on the stove with the weight and wait for two whistles. They will come quickly one after the other.
- Switch off flame and in a few minutes release the pressure.
- You will see completely cooked veggies inside but they wont be mushy.
- Now add the beaten curd, sugar, whipped cream (heavy cream) and give it a quick mix.
- I added a few pieces of pan seared organic tofu to the gravy.
- Mix, garnish with chopped cilantro if needed.
- One Pot One Shot Methi Matar Malai can be served with hot rotis, phulkas or Jeera Rice.